Tuesday, 17 January 2012

But what about...

I have come to accept the fact that I can’t make decisions. An inner battle happens every time I’m at a crossroad.  Should I go left? Or right? Should I stay home? Or go out? Should I wear the brown shoes? Or the black ones? What should I have for lunch?

If the indecision issue only affected menial decisions (did I used the correct affect?), I wouldn’t even care.  My life will not be drastically altered if I eat a tuna sandwich instead of peanut butter and jam. No, it’s when it gets to the big stuff that I feel completely crippled.  What should I be doing with my life? What is my purpose here? Have I done enough with the resources I’ve been given? How can I help someone else?

I don’t think I’ve always been this wishy-washy.  I remember being confident as a child. It must have been somewhere in high school that I began doubting.  I suppose as a child, you don’t fully understand the consequences of poor choices.  Like when I snooped in my Christmas presents and my parents found out, then made me open all my gifts before Christmas so I didn’t have any to open on Christmas day. Consequence for a poor choice that was not foreseen.

The risks are more evident as an adult.  I went skiing last year.  The only other time I went skiing was when I was 21, I think.  It was fun! There was one steep moment of terror I can recall, but other than that, I loved it.  Last year, I was standing at the top of the hill, thinking-If I actually attempt this, I am going to die.  Kids that were barely up to my knees went down with no fear!  Of course, they are much closer to the ground than I am, so the damage resulting in a fall would be much more minor.  I went down, though, a couple of times.  Since I faced my fear then, I don’t feel compelled to try facing it again. It’s amazing how, the older you get, the more your mind works against you. If I do this, the potential risks are…x, y, z.  I could fall and break my leg.  I could hit a tree.  I could need to be rescued by a St. Bernard…

Being cautious is good, I think.  But for me, I need more abandon. I’m not saying I need to go and do something crazy. I just feel like it’s time to jump in with both feet.  Pick something and stick with it.  Find a career and go for it. But what do I pick!?!?!  Oh I hate this feeling of indecision. How come some people don’t struggle with this but I do?  I can’t even answer the question-If I could do anything in the world, I would…  I have no idea what I would do!  If money wasn’t an option, I would go to school for… I have no stinking clue!  I would be most happy doing… Like I know! Why can’t I answer these questions? What is holding me back? Will I ever get to the point where I have confidence in the decisions that I make?

I sure hope so.

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome, that's all that matters! X

    Charmaine (I have no idea how to post other than as anonymous that's why I put my name after the comment.) Love you! X
    P.S. I can't answer any of those questions either,X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the first step is to be able to look back at your decisions and understand and accept the decisions you have made have been because of the person you were at that moment, and to love that person. Whether those were good decisions or bad decisions, or that next time you could make better decisions. Because if you can look back with acceptance and love you can give yourself strenght to go forward. Everyone struggles with indecision, the things we choose can affect so many people and so much of our own lives. But the agony needs tobecome trust, trust in yourself and trust in God. We love you Amelia, love yourself

    ReplyDelete