I have a haircut tonight. Since I didn't feel like wasting the gas to go home after work and come back into town, I am killing time at Starbucks. I know. I know. Me in Chapters is like an alcoholic going to a bar. You'll be happy to know that my self control is still in tact. I didn't even cross that little track that the huge baby gate travels on when Chapters closes and Starbucks is still opened. My back is to the books and I am determined not to leave here purchasing anything more than my tall gingerbread latte and turkey bacon breakfast sandwich.
I really came here to kill time people watching. I don't find many things quite as fascinating as watching people. There are several here that look much like I do. Sitting with some sort of electronic device in front of them, periodically looking up to people watch as well, I imagine. I am listening to three conversations in different languages, none of which I recognize. There are two guys to my left. One is talking talking talking, and the other is just nodding his head, not able to get a word in. Or maybe he doesn't mind just listening. There's a woman who took the comfy seat to read a book. There's a woman in front of me who should probably be Italian, the way she's talking with her hands, but she is Asian. Oh! The nodder got in a sentence! Now he's shaking his head.
There aren't many vacant seats left. I'm sitting at the big wheelchair accessible table. I wonder if anyone would have the courage to ask to join me? I mean, I have this huge table all to myself. Plenty of room for someone else looking to people watch. I wonder if I would have the nerve to ask someone to share their table. I think I would. I'm really not shy. People are leery of each other, though. Oh, he's back to nodding again. There was a time when everyone was friendly with each other. It's sorta sad that our society has become one that keeps to themselves, too cautious to interact with one another.
I think that people crave that, though. They desire to share what they have inside with someone else. There are so many lonely people out there. People are desperate to know that someone cares. Someone would notice if they were gone. Someone would benefit from them being in their life. We were created to connect with each other. And yet so much evil has caused us to close ourselves off. Shut down the part inside that is aching to relate to someone. Anyone.
I don't want to be that person with the "Closed for Business" signal emanating from me. I want to be the one people can go to when they just want to talk. Like that nodder. Be quiet and listen. That is what I am challenging myself to do. Open up. Be vulnerable. Show a stranger I care. How different would our society be if we all did that?
Love reading your musings Meezie! You are a good writer and an awesome person! XXXX
ReplyDeleteLove, Charmaine