Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Just Me and My Sister


Oh the happy sisters.  Every time I see this picture, I laugh.  It was like we were being tortured or something. Could there be a picture of two more miserable little girls? I’ll have to ask my mom why we were so snarly looking.

The picture got me thinking, though, of all the great times I had with my sister growing up.  We used to go to my aunts and uncles’ house to play with our cousins.  Being all pretty close in age, we’d spend hours there.  Playing in the backyard. Or my favourite place was their basement.  It was like a whole different world down there!  I remember a back corner had boxes and boxes of dress-up clothes.  We would put the costumes on and pretend to be all sorts of things. My older cousins’ room was down there too.  I remember snooping in their room one time and dropping a bowling ball on my foot.  Got in trouble for that one.

Sophia had a desk in her room.  We would crawl under it and play “store”.  We’d make our own money.   Find “merchandise” and price it. Then, we’d take turns being the cashier. I think we would play that in our basement too, where there was an old bar.  I remember we’d also play “rock star”, making up our own dance moves and singing along to songs I’m sure I no longer remember.  

It’s amazing how time flies.  When you’re a kid, you think you’ll be a kid forever and never get to grow up.  And when you grow up, you wish you could be a kid again. I wish I could remember everything about my childhood. Maybe I just remember the important stuff.  Like when my dad had gone to Italy over Christmas one year but had bought us Cabbage Patch dolls before he left for us to open while he was gone. Or maybe it was just mom that had bought them for us and said they were from dad…at any rate, it’s still a good memory. I wish I still had mine.

And now my sister is going to have a kid. The whole cycle of life is beginning again. Hopefully, she has another one too, so her kids can have the kind of memories that I have of growing up with my siblings.

1 comment: