Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Getting Started

Now how does one begin writing a blog…?

It’s like I woke up this morning and decided to join the circus.  I have no idea how to go about it…what to expect…what direction to take.  Should I be a lion tamer? Can I learn to shove swords down my throat? I’m not in good enough shape to be a trapeze artist.  Perhaps, I’ll just fumble along until I figure out where I fit.

I got an iPad for Christmas.  In trying to think of ways that this new toy will be useful, I’ve discovered ebooks. Now,  I am a HUGE reader.  I should join BBA – Book Buyers Anonymous.  My bedroom is littered with books.  That being said, I’ve always been old fashioned about reading though.  When the first ereader came out, what was it?  the Kindle?, I was staunchly against it! “I don’t care about saving trees!  I want to flip pages!” I never thought I would cross over to the dark side.  At first, it was just curiosity.  What’s this? iBooks? Hmmm… Do they have the books that I like to read?  Yes. Are they cheaper than their paper counterparts? Sometimes.  Will the glare from the screen give me a headache whilst I’m staring at it for hours on end?  Probably.  So I just bought one book.  Just to try it out.  I now have four different apps and 15 books.  It was actually the ebooks that started me to thinkin’ about writing a blog.  One reviewer on Amazon said she got a free copy of the book in exchange for her honest review.  How awesome is that!  All you needed was a blog.  So this really may be only an ulterior motive to get free books.

Or maybe this will become a medium for me to express my feelings. Deal with issues.  Pass time. I can’t imagine too many people will care to read what I have to say.  Not that I think lowly of myself, but I’ve never read someone’s blog. I suppose people write a blog intending for it to be read, but I’m sure it’s more than that. Like, people who write in a journal, with actual paper and pens, don’t really intend for that to be read.  Do they?

I’ve never been much of a journaller.  At least not in the recent past. Back in high school, I went through a journaling phase.  I actually wrote in it quite often.  It fizzled out, though, after I graduated.  The journal collected dust for a few years before I went back to it.  Wow.  Bad idea.  I think I ripped out half of the pages, horrified that someone would one day read it.  Was I really that ridiculous in high school?  Was that really how I thought? Was that really what I wanted to do with my life?  It was embarrassing.  What is it about high school? Our brains must take a huge detour in their development.  They probably stop off in Brain Vegas and go gambling.  I’m sure they take a wrong turn in Albuquerque.  At any rate, it was actually hard to read. Uncomfortable. Like looking at Awkward Family Photos. What are people thinking?  At what point did you think it was a good idea to pose with your children, naked, with fig leaves strategically placed, for a Christmas card? Thank God no such photos exist with my family featured in them. I think that’s enough for today.

Now how does one end writing a blog…?

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Amelia, you had me captivated, you have a knack for making your musings intersting and amusing. Love you and look forward to more! Charmaine, X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of Blogging I hope you eventually get lots MORE books. ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete