I got a new bluetooth keyboard for my iPad. It is pretty awesome, I must say. At first, I thought I wanted a case with the keyboard attached. Since I couldn't find anything that I liked without buying online, I started looking at detached ones. I bought a Logitech one at Staples, selected mostly because the keys are a comfortable distance apart and because it fits in my purse.
I am not the type of person that researches things before I buy them. Except maybe books. I do read book reviews and base my purchase on that. It's kind of dumb that I will research a book, but blindly buy the big stuff. I bought the Escape because I wanted a compact SUV that didn't look like a bubble. It could be the worst one on the market and I wouldn't know because I really didn't look into it. Foolish on my part, really. It's a lot of money. Though with the amount of them that I see on the road, they can't be that bad. I know some people that won't buy a toaster without checking out every single one online to make sure that the $20 they are spending on it is going to be a good investment.
Can too much information be a bad thing? Can you really trust all of the reviews that you read online? I can say from experience, there have been books that I've read with great reviews, and I hated them. Can the same be true for keyboards or cars? You can basically find any opinion online to support every angle. "This product is the greatest thing I've every purchased!" "I would not use this product if you paid me!" "For the price, this product is worth it, not worth it..." And so on. Who do you believe? Out of all of the opinions, which do you choose? We already know that I can't handle too many choices. I mean, sometimes, I go to a restaurant and let the waiter pick for me because I can't decide what I want to eat. Have you ever been to The Cheesecake Factory? Their menu is like a novel! I can't handle that many choices. Seriously, it's a book with coil binding and everything! And they have like 15 different cheesecake flavours. Who can choose between 15 different flavours of cheesecake?
I supposed it all comes down to trust and taking a risk. You either trust what other people say, and take the risk based on their opinions. Or trust what you think, and take the risk based on your own feelings. Why should I trust what a stranger thinks? But then why should I trust what I think when I have absolutely no idea? I do believe there has to be a happy medium. And I think that that medium needs to involve more responsibility on my part. Next time I buy something, I will read up online about it first. I promise.
A good portion of online reviews are made by employees of the product itself. It's the same with iPhone apps. It's too easy to create the appearance of a great product. Your skepticism is totally understood.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! I didn't even think of that angle! Sneaky!!!
ReplyDeleteDan makes a good piont, which is why i tend to believe the crappy reviews, cause it's for sure people that have used the product. but you have to ignore the loudest people too cause probably lead miserable lives and like to complain about everything. I think it is all about percentages, which is why I like trip advisor, because they have a lot of reviews, but also provide statistical information
ReplyDelete